Friday, April 15, 2011

NBA 2010-2011 First Round Playoff Predictions


I wish I had time to bust out a longer series of thoughts, but this will have to be succinct. Here are my first round predictions.

East:
1. Bulls over 8. Pacers in 5 games
-I am giving the Pacers enough respect to say they win one game, but no more. If Noah is fully healthy and plays well, this might be a sweep. I don’t see how DC can stop Rose. Granger is a good match for Deng, but it won’t matter and the Bulls make this look easy.

2. Heat over 7. Sixers in 6 games
-This will probably look easier than 6 games, but I think the Sixers have enough fight to get there. They actually have an advantage in home stadium support, and in coaching. Iguodala is one of about a half a dozen players than can attempt to contain Lebron. However, I don’t know who on this team slows down Wade and that will be the evident difference. Heat in 6, maybe 5 if everything clicks.

3. Celtics over 6. Knicks in 5 games
-The Knicks can score and the Celtics are all messed up mentally. However, Boston has way too much poise and experience. KG will score efficiently, and Rondo should have his way even if his mind is only half way right. Ray Allen will run Fields all over the place and the Celtics close it out at home in Game 5. All the games should be very exciting though.

4. Magic over 5. Hawks in 5 games
-I was all set around about January to say that this was the year that the Hawks break through. Finally, they have enough elsewhere than center to matchup with the Magic. Even Hinrich is a good match for Jameer. But, then the Hawks fell apart. They quit on their coach, hate the fans, and the team seems like it knows two stars are about to be traded and Crawford will be allowed to leave. This could be a sweep.


West:
8. Grizzlies over 1. Spurs in 6 games
-I pulling the upset at the top of the West after going chalk in the East. The Grizzlies will make this fun. They play the Spurs tough, especially in Memphis. They match up well expect at PG, and I expect Mayo  and Tony Allen may be playing Tony Parker more than Conley will. I think the combination of Duncan’s aging and Manu’s elbow keeping him out of at least a few games will be enough to topple the Spurs. And yes, I just predicted playoff success for Z-Bo.

2. Lakers over 7. Hornets in 4 games
-Simple and easy. They could even protect Bynum and not play him. Chris Paul is no longer great enough to light Derek Fisher up like he once could have, and in the Odom-Gasol-Bynum vs. Landry-Emeka battle, who you got? Finally, Kobe Bryant versus Marco Belinelli? Thank you and drive through.

3. Mavs over 6. Blazers in 7 games
-I think this comes down to 7 games. Only two things matter: A. Dirk is in my book the best clutch player in the league and B. The Mavs are experienced. Okay, so I also want to see Dirk and Kobe go at it in the playoffs which somehow, they have NEVER DONE. That might also be a sweep for the Lakers, while Lakers-Portland could actually go the other way. Matchups are so key, aren’t they?

4. Thunder over 5. Nuggets in 5 games
-I’ll give the Nuggets enough credit to get one game, but I think Oklahoma City cruises through this round and picks up a ton of confidence. The Nuggets do not have a star, a go to scorer, and have too many players hurt. In addition, George Carl gets routinely outcoached in the playoffs. If Gallo and Afflalo were healthy, maybe it would be closer. But Ibaka and Perkins are so much better than Kenyon Martin and Nene. And Russell Westbrook will dominate a much smaller Ty Lawson. It could be a sweep.


Good luck to everyone, and I’ll check back in for my round two predictions.

-Bliss

No comments:

Post a Comment